Two Illinois State Police troopers were injured while attempting to arrest a Peoria man during a traffic stop near Morton on Thursday evening.
Police said a car driven by Damien Grant, 30, was pulled over at 5:15 p.m. for a traffic violation. During the stop, a trooper said they saw "criminal activity" happening in the vehicle. A second trooper arrived to help search Grant's vehicle, and a loaded handgun was found.
As the troopers attempted to arrest Grant, police said he resisted and tried to disarm the troopers. Grant was eventually arrested after he was tased multiple times.
Both Grant and the troopers were treated and released at OSF Saint Francis Medical Center in Peoria.
Grant was arrested for the following:
- Possession Of Weapon By A Felon (2 counts)
- Aggravated Battery To A Peace Officer (2 counts)
- Disarming A Peace Officer
- Attempts To Disarm A Peace Officer (2 counts)
- Unlawful Use Of A Loaded Weapon
- Armed Habitual Criminal
- Resisting Arrest
- No FOID Card
- Violation Of Parole
- Aggravated DUI
- Numerous Other Traffic Violations