Northern Illinois likeliest for white Christmas

Dec 15, 2014

When it comes to prospects of getting a white Christmas in Illinois, a weather expert says the best bet might be for the folks of northern Illinois.

Illinois State Climatologist Jim Angel defines a "white Christmas" as at least an inch of snow on the ground on Christmas Day.

Angel says there's a 40 to 60 percent chance of that happening in the northern third of Illinois. Those odds drop to 20 to 40 percent in central Illinois and none to 20 percent in southern Illinois.

Angel adds that compared with nearby states, the odds of a white Christmas in the Midwest perhaps unsurprisingly are highest to the north, in Minnesota and Wisconsin.