Food On Stove is Likely Cause of Koinonia House Blaze

Jul 22, 2019

Unattended food on a stove is likely to blame for a large fire at Koinonia House on Sunday evening.

The Peoria Fire Department responded to 1507 N. Knoxville just before 6 p.m. on a report of heavy black smoke pouring from the top of the three-story apartment building. Firefighters knocked the blaze out in about 15 minutes. 

Fire damage was contained to the apartment of the fire's origin, but there was major smoke damage throughout the building. Damage is estimated at $125,000. 

A total of 37 firefighters responded to the scene, as more people arrived to relieve the first responders due to the high temperatures and humidity. 

Ten people are being assisted by the Red Cross. No one was injured.