The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services was involved in a 9-year-old Goodfield boy's livelihood 14 times since his birth.
The department provided WCBU with a timeline of their involvement in the life of the suspect on Tuesday. Eleven of the 14 cases were determined to be unfounded by DCFS investigators.
The 9-year-old boy appeared in Woodford County Circuit Court for the first time Monday in connection with the murders of 69-year-old Kathryn Murphy; 34-year-old Jason Wall; two 2-year-olds, and a one-year-old; in an April arson fire at the Goodfield trailer court where the family lived.
He faces five first-degree murder charges, with a maximum potential penalty of probation until age 21 and intensive therapy due to his age. He reportedly was diagnosed with schizophrenia, ADHD, and bipolar disorder recently.
DCFS opened its first case in January 2010, soon after the boy was born. The agency found an allegation the boy was in danger due to his mother, Katrina Alwood, living with a convicted sex offender, to be unfounded.
The agency continued to revisit the case through the years. An allegation of neglect on Oct. 13, 2014 was substantiated when Alwood was cited for "deplorable conditions" in the family home. The family began to receive community services after the visit.
DCFS was contacted again in August 2018 regarding the child's school attendance issues. The agency concluded the child was beginning the year at a new school, and updated its case file accordingly.
The agency was once again alerted on April 8 of this year following the fire. Only Alwood and the child survived the blaze at the Timberline Mobile Home Park.
Allegations of poor conditions at home, neglect, poor nutrition, living with a sex offender, and abuse were all deemed unfounded by DCFS.
The child is due back in court on Nov. 22.
A full account of DCFS' involvement with the 9-year-old is below. He is referred to as the "surviving son" throughout.
- 1/30/2010 Investigation of allegation of abuse, by Katrina Alwood is closed as UNFOUNDED. Report alleged child was at risk because mother’s living arrangements would expose surviving son to a registered sex offender.
- 8/25/2010 Investigation of allegations of abuse by Michael Alwood and Katrina Alwood is closed as UNFOUNDED. Report alleged that surviving sonis being cared for by a registered sex offender.
- 10/13/2010 Investigation of allegation of neglect by Katrina Alwoodis closed as UNFOUNDED. Report alleged that there was dog and cat feces present in the home and suggested environmental neglect.
- 8/4/2011 Investigation of allegation of neglect by Francis Nelson and Katrina Alwood is closed as UNFOUNDED. Report alleged surviving son was at risk of physical harm due to the presence of a male occupant of the home.
- 9/16/2013 Investigation of allegation of neglect by Katrina Alwood is closed as UNFOUNDED. Report alleged surviving son is exposed to risk from soiled pullups, blankets and the presence of dog and cat feces.
- 10/13/2014 Investigation of allegation of neglect by Katrina Alwood closed as INDICATED. Mother was indicated for environmental neglect due to the deplorable conditions of the home. Family began receiving community services.
- 1/6/2017 Investigation of allegation of neglect by Jason Wall and Katrina Alwood closed as UNFOUNDED. Repor talleged the home was in a deplorable condition and children were not being fed. Food is present in the home and family indicated a plan for cleaning up the residence.
- 2/22/2018 Investigation of allegationof abuse and neglect by Katrina Alwood, Jason Wall and Michael Alwood is closed as UNFOUNDED. Report alleged environmental neglect due to the conditions of the home reported. The investigation was unfounded based on the family moving to a more habitable location.
- 8/28/2018 Hotline was contacted concerning attendance issues at school with surviving son. The report was based on surviving son’s school attendance history in previous school year. Surviving son was beginning the year at a new school and no services were deemed necessary at the time. Intake was added to already open investigation.
- 8/30/2018 Investigation of allegation of neglect by Jason Wall and Katrina Alwood is closed as UNFOUNDED. The report alleged that Katrina and Jason were in the community begging for money and food. The investigation confirmed that there was sufficient food in the home. Family referred for community based services.
- 9/29/2018 Investigation of allegation of abuse by Jason Wall is closed as UNFOUNDED. The report alleged the surviving son was being restrained by Katrina’sboyfriend. The investigation was unfounded and the family was offered community services.
- 10/8/2018 Investigation of allegation of neglect by Jason Wall and Katrina Alwood is closed as UNFOUNDED. The report alleged a dirty house. The investigation concluded the home did not provide a safety risk. Community services were offered to the family.
- 11/2/2018 Investigation of allegation of abuse by Katrina Alwood is closed as UNFOUNDED. The report alleged that the surviving son was scratched on the arm by Katrina. The report was unfounded after evidence indicated otherwise.
- 04/08/19 The death of three children related to a fire at the Timberline Mobile Home Park on April 6 is reported to DCFS. The department is currently conducting a full investigationof allegations of abuse and neglect related to the deaths of the 3 children.