Lawmakers are considering whether to ask Illinoisans to pay more for gasoline — with the money dedicated to fixing crumbling infrastructure. A new proposal at the Statehouse would double the motor fuel tax — from the current 19 cents up to 38 cents a gallon. It would also up driver’s license and vehicle registrations fees, with the goal of raising $2 billion a year to pay for road, bridge, highway and rail improvements. Listen here. State Sen. Martin Sandoval, a Chicago Democrat, views this...
When does freedom of speech and academic freedom go too far? The argument is playing out on college campuses across the country, including right here in Illinois. In some cases, it's pitting students against professors and universities. Also, we've been hearing about the decline of the bee population for years. An Illinois graduate student wants to find out what beekeepers are seeing and build a database. That and more on this week's Statewide.
- Appeal Filed in Rock Island County Courthouse Case
- Macomb Lifts Sunday Ban on Retail Liquor Sales
- Re-setting The Clock: Plan Would Put Five-Hour Instructional Time Back For Schools
- Hundreds Rally At The Capitol To Protest Abortion Bills
- Statewide: The Debate Over Free Speech At Colleges; Building A Bee Database
Updated at 6:22 a.m. ET Saturday U.S.-backed forces fighting ISIS remnants announced the capture of the last of the group's remaining territory Saturday. The Syrian Democratic Forces, a Kurdish-led group supported by the U.S., declared a "total elimination of so-called caliphate" and a complete "territorial defeat" of ISIS. "This is a victory for not just us but the whole world," local SDF commander Adnan Afrin told NPR. There are still reports of sporadic gunfire. Afrin characterizes this as...
Out and About
- Bradley International Print and Drawing Exhibition Returns to Venues Across Peoria
- Peoria Players Opens Its Production of "Dreamgirls"
- Youth Music Illinois Presents "Musical Masquerade" Tonight
- WTVP's "State and Water" Program Hosts Double CD Release Event
- Eureka College Presents "Pippin" This Weekend