TREMONT - One of five missing Marines declared dead after their refueling plane collided with a fighter jet last week off Japan's southern coast was from Tremont.
The push to legalize recreational marijuana in Illinois could get a jump-start early next year. State Sen. Heather Steans, a Chicago Democrat, said this week she plans to introduce legislation early next year to tax and regulate the use and sale of marijuana. Incoming Democratic governor J.B. Pritzker campaigned on a pro-legalization platform, and House Speaker Michael Madigan has expressed support for Pritzker’s plan. Democrats control both chambers of the state legislature. At a recent News...
Lawmakers unveiled the much-anticipated farm bill compromise Monday night, ending the months-long impasse over whether a critical piece of legislation that provides subsidies to farmers and helps needy Americans buy groceries could pass before the lame-duck session concludes at the end of the year. The agreement was reached after a proposal — backed by House Republicans and President Trump — to add stricter work requirements for those who receive food stamps was taken off the table. The...
- Nancy Pelosi Cuts Deal With Democratic Rebels To Ensure Return To Speakership
- Report Condemns Australian Prison For Forcing Woman To Give Birth Alone In Cell
- Fentanyl Surpasses Heroin As Drug Most Often Involved In Deadly Overdoses
- Top Cardinals Embroiled In Sexual Abuse Scandal No Longer On Papal Council
- Evelyn Berezin, Computer Scientist Behind Groundbreaking Word Processor, Dies At 93
Out and About
- "Sing It Yourself Messiah" Returns to First Federated Church
- Community Festival of Nativities on Display Through Sunday
- Rodin, Peoria Players and Disney On Display at Peoria Riverfront Museum
- Bradley Community Chorus and Symphony Orchestra Present a Concert of Sacred Music this Weekend
- Bradley University Theatre Blends Real and Fantasy Worlds With "She Kills Monsters"