When Illinois approved a new school funding formula in 2017, it didn't make funding equitable across all districts overnight. But it has opened the eyes of the State Board of Education. The new formula, called " evidence based funding ," is calculated by weighing each district's financial needs against the economic resources of the surrounding community. This comparison revealed that some districts have less than half the resources they need, while other districts have three times what they need.
Springfield's Prairie Heart Institute has joined with University of Chicago Medicine to strengthen heart care for patients in central and southern Illinois.
By definition, whiskey is a grain spirit. And until now, that "grain" has been limited by federal law to four specific crops: corn, wheat, rye and barley. So when Darek Bell, founder of Corsair Distillery in Nashville, Tenn., wanted to start experimenting with alternatives, there wasn't really a playbook to follow. "We started looking at a whole lot of grains that were coming out of sort of the health food movement, the green movement," Bell said. "We're thinking, 'What would it taste like to...
- What's Driving Low Gas Prices? A Global Oil Glut
- Selling Food From Your Kitchen Is Legal In California, But There's A Catch
- Verdict Expected For Chicago Cops Charged In Cover-Up Of Laquan McDonald Shooting
- 25 Years After The Northridge Earthquake, Is LA Ready For The Big One?
- Women's March Divisions Offer Lessons For Democrats On Managing A Big Tent
Out and About
- HFO Greets 2019 with a Tribute to Ella Fitzgerald
- 22VA Art Exhibit Showcases Art By Veterans, Calls Attention to Veteran Suicides
- Nitsch Theatre Arts Offers Unique Performance Experience for Students
- Peoria Players Theatre Presents "Christmas One-Acts"
- "Sing It Yourself Messiah" Returns to First Federated Church