Minority employment in the Peoria Police and Fire Departments is falling behind established goals. Three years ago, the city council set a target of 38 and 39-percent minority officers in each department respectively by the year 2025. Only 18.3-percent of the police force currently comes from minority groups. Police Chief Loren Marion says there are a limited number of qualified minorities applying to the department. One example he says it that 32 African American male applicants this past...
Michelle McAnarney said she realized her daughter Darby was different than other children soon after she was born. "She was always a little delayed physically," said McAnarney, a Springfield resident. Darby was well over a year old when she started walking, but "once she could walk, I'm not even joking the next day she was running," she said. If McAnarney and her husband took Darby, who is now four years old, to loud or chaotic places, she'd become overwhelmed -- tip a plate over in a...
- Illinois Families, Kids With Disabilities Suffer Without Childcare
- Republicans Tout Unity After Divisive Primary, Challenging General Election Ahead
- Dems Vow Down-Ballot Effort, Red-State Reach
- Man Disputes Abortion Protestor's Claim He Pointed Rifle
- Activist Announces Labor Day March Near O'Hare International Airport
The U.S. is threatening further sanctions against Turkey if it does not quickly release American pastor Andrew Brunson, who has been detained by the Turkish government for nearly two years. The diplomatic spat is also taking a toll on Turkey's currency, the lira. Turkey says Brunson has ties to political groups responsible for the 2016 attempted coup of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Brunson runs an evangelical church in the Turkish city of Izmir. The U.S. says the pastor is "a victim of...
- Greece Emerges From International Bailout, But Will Be Closely Monitored For Years
- Man Who Sexually Assaulted Airline Passenger Convicted, Could Face Life In Prison
- Rain Starts To Slow After Flooding Displaces 800,000 In Southern Indian State
- VIDEO: The 7 Dwarfs Whistle While They Work To Fight Malaria
- 6.9-Magnitude Earthquake Hits Indonesia's Lombok Island
Out and About
- New Exhibits on Display at Wheels O' Time Museum
- Ignite! Peoria Seeks to Spark Creativity This Weekend
- Regional Premiere of "Newsies" Coming to Corn Stock Theatre
- Peoria Playhouse Hosts Artist in Residence to Create Original Work of Art
- Illinois Art League Features the Work of its Members in New Exhibit